The VA, Department of Steel and Light Metal Structures is recognized and operates as a national and European testing laboratory, as well as an inspection and certification body.
Nationally, the VA is:
- an official testing laboratory for issuing test certificates for structural products
- body for issuing/granting general certificates according to building law
- certification body
- inspection body for external quality control
- inspection body for quality control according to § 17 Clause 6 of the LBO (State Building Regulations), Baden-Württemberg
- testing laboratory for testing of structural products, structures and manufacturers according to § 17 Clause 5 of the LBO (State Building Regulations), Baden-Württemberg